Friday, April 3, 2015

Day 3 through Day 7 of ACL Recovery: Slow progress is better than NO progress!

Day 3- Day 7


Day 2 was by far the worst day. I am going to be completely truthful here. While my surgeon explained how bad surgery would be, I totally didn't listen. I knew I would freak myself out, and since I had to get the surgery no matter what, I knew there was NO WAY I wanted to know the deep dark deets of it all. Apparently ACL surgery is quite painful. Who knew? Day 2 was probably one of the most miserable days of my life. Luckily, my law partners, grandfather, and my friend Melissa helped with some moral support. (Loving the mermaid ice cream, Mel!!)

Day 3, however, was the start of something new. I began my physical therapy, and to actually start improving and moving forward was exactly what I needed. Don't get me wrong, physical therapy has been no pic nic. I have been  shocked at the lack of cooperation from my once strong killer legs. I used to have these tree trunk muscular legs (which I hated because you can't squeeze muscle into a smaller pair of skinny jeans) but my muscle is quickly disappearing. I feel like Ariel when she just got legs! I have no control over my leg when I try to lift it. The physical therapy was just so strange. They had be doing quad squeezes where I would squeeze my legs down and push into a towel behind my knee, front leg lifts where I would flex my foot, straighten my leg, and lift using my quads, foot slides where I would slide my foot on a wooden board to bend my knee, and calf stretches.

The weekend after my surgery is a bit of a blur. I know I was on a lot of pain medication, and I slept a lot. I had lots of visitors Saturday and Sunday. My friend Steph came by with some bath goodies for when I get finally get a good long relaxing bath again. On Sunday, a dear friend from dance and fellow Dance Trance instructor, Jennifer, who brought me lots of yummy food (some of which my dogs stole off the counter... thanks B's)! Then, one of my law partners stopped by, and brought me disney coloring books. That made me feel great. I LOVED making outfits for Ariel and Belle. I think it distracted me from my pain.




Monday was my first day on my own until I went to physical therapy. I hung out with the dogs, and worked from home. At PT,  I pretty much repeated what I did Friday but added side leg lifts which I
surprisingly rocked. My mom came down to take me, so it felt pretty good to have my momma. We went to get frozen yogurt afterwords because I FINALLY started getting my appetite back. Some little girl asked us to sit near her and her grandmother. She came up and gave me a big hug when she was leaving. I guess she could tell how miserable I was. Tuesday, I didn't work much. I ended up super nauseated all day. I tried not to take my pain meds because I thought they were making me sick which I think made things way worse.



On Wednesday (7 days post surgery!!!! WOOT!) I felt great. I worked most of the morning because I wasn't as groggy. My future Mother-in-Law took me to PT where my fiance picked me up. At PT, I felt much stronger. I did the same movements as Monday with more reps. I can feel my leg getting stronger and stronger. I returned to a very sweet surprise from the fantastic four owners Dance Trance. They provided us some dinner from Tre Luna (DELISH) and some banana pudding.
Oh, also on Wednesday, I officially got my wedding date for Disney. April 1, 2016!!!!! Squee!!!

This has been super hard, because I've always been so strong  (especially my legs.) I am very independent and DO NOT like depending on people. However, that being said, I truly appreciate everyone who has been sending well wishes, gifts, food, and taking care of me. I was terrified to be stranded at home without being able to run, DANCE, and actually be me.... but my friends and family are really looking out for me. I've cried a lot, but I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I cannot wait for October when I can do everything I love to the fullest again. I keep that as my motivation.

My tips for anyone going through this are the following:


  1. Go into this knowing it's going to hurt like the dickens BUT if you can get through the first two days, you're golden. 
  2. Your leg will feel foreign no matter how fit you once were. 
  3. Allow people to help you. They love you, and if you would do the same for them, then you're obviously not a burden. Stop thinking you're a burden.
  4. DO NOT WATCH SAD MOVIES... they will only bring you down. (Steel Magnolias is NOT optimal for helping your mood if you're blue.)
  5. Cry, but then look up inspirational quotes to feel better. 
  6. Have a good humor about it. Things could be worse. You want to be able to laugh at your hairy legs, how you hobble, and how you're super slow these days. 
  7. Never try to get in a car on a steep driveway. It's too difficult. 
  8. Do your physical therapy, and if you can do a few extra reps... try it. If it doesn't hurt to make yourself stronger, go for it. 
  9. Ice & Elevate. You'll begin to hate this.
  10. Don't try to be a hero. Take the pain meds. If you don't, you'll be miserable. (Then it'll be way too late to get them to kick in before you're acting like the hulk.) They might make you feel nauseated, but if you eat banana pudding, it'll go away!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment